Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Here's to New Friends!

Day one of Insight Dubai was AWESOME simply because I was introduced to my Emirati buddy, Muna, and about 90 other women from around the world. Almost every country between Argentina and Venezuela (alphabetically speaking) was represented at orientation and welcoming addresses. After the welcoming speeches made by Sheikh Nahyna, Minister of Education (and a big contributor to the conference), Dr. Howard Reed, director of Dubai Women's College, and Haya al-Mutlaq, our lead contact and coordinator of this conference, we were split into small groups.

I was put into team BLUE (I can now say blue in 4 different languages: blue, azul, azrak and nila!!). Muna and I, along with six other pairs, were assigned to Beenish (Beans for short)as our facilitator for the rest of the trip. Let me tell you, Beans is the reason why I don't need my cup o' Joe every morning. The girl can talk someone's ear off, literally -- but in a good kind of way. Beans was a participant in Insight Dubai 2009 and loved it so much that she applied and returned as facilitator this year. She is trying her best to make this trip to Dubai a memorable one for us.

After small group, Muna gave me a tour of the Dubai Women's College. Reaction in two words: HOLY COW!!! The campus is huge and the facilities are SO new. I only hope Kelley's new renovations to the Business School can be as modern as what I saw on this campus.

The tour was followed by two movies: Unveiling Dubai, which was a documentary about a German man's perspective on Dubai on his first visit, and the second Mr. and Mrs. Right, was a comical short film about Arab men and women's thoughts on marriage. As the first was factual, most could relate to the second film, aligning their hopes, fantasies and fears of marriage with those of the Arabs interviewed.

The day concluded with a delicious barbeque and cultural quiz in the courtyard. I returned to my room, thereafter, (still without my luggage) and crashed on the couch.

Word of the Day: Kuhbiz. It means Bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment